Sunday 22 October 2023

Mission Sydney - The Last Order Review (Sydney)

Hi all

Back in June 2022, some fellow enthusiasts and I met up in the city to play The Last Order at Mission Sydney.  At the time, I had played all other rooms at Mission Sydney.  I think the reason that I hadn’t played The Last Order up until that point is that I had been told that it was a single room experience, which I generally find less exciting than multi room experiences, and that it was a much simpler room than the other rooms at Mission. 

The Last Order was my 214th room to date. The summary of the room is as follows:

You are a member of an international assassin syndicate. Your superior ‘James’ is one of the syndicate’s highest-ranking members and he is currently in hiding from the police.  One day, you receive an unmarked letter in the mail. The letter’s message reads: “I have kidnapped your family. They are safe, but not for long. If you ever want to see them again, go to level 2 of this hotel before…” You quickly pack your bags and on the way to the hotel, you contact the most trustworthy member in the syndicate you know – ‘David’ – and beg him to help identify the kidnapper. He agrees to help you behind the scenes. Arriving at the hotel, you are ready to do anything to save your family.

Here’s what I thought of The Last Order at Mission:

·         I really enjoyed The Last Order.  One of the things I liked about it was that it was so different to the rest of the rooms at Mission.  Mission was initially known for cornering the high tech market, but in the last few years they have created some really beautifully-themed rooms with some excellent puzzles;

·         The Last Order does not have the dazzling wow factor that some of Mission’s other rooms have, but it does have a strong back story and really strong puzzles.  It reminded me in many ways of old adventure games from the 90s, which is probably why I enjoyed it so much (given that those adventure games are, I think, the reason for my escape room addition today);

·         the puzzles were quite varied and really cleverly put together.  They used a lot of different elements, all of which made sense in the space.  The room flow of The Last Order is particularly strong too; and

·         whilst the theme is not particularly kid friendly, it is not a dark space and there are no jump scares at all.

We really enjoyed The Last Order.  What it lacks in shiny wows, it makes up for in clever puzzle design.  I think newer players are probably more likely to be attracted to the shinier, more visually impressive rooms that Mission has on offer, but I think The Last Order is a great room (perhaps more suited to enthusiasts who enjoy interesting puzzles).

Where:                       Mission Sydney

Duration:                    75 minutes

Themes:                     8 rooms

Cost:                           $46 per person (assuming 4 players) midweek

Overall Rating:           A really unique room with great puzzles

More details:              https://www.missionsydney.com  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment