Our third room, played back to back, at Revelation Puzzle Rooms (back in March 2021) was Cold Case.
As with Toxic and Doomsday, the overarching story continues with Cold Case, the room summary of which is below:
Your close relative has been suddenly killed and the man responsible has eluded the police’s grasp. You have decided to take matters into your own hands. The detective on the case has agreed to give you access to the crime scene.
Before long, the case will go cold and the criminal will walk free. Can you find him before it is too late?
Cold Case was our third room in Canberra and our 170th room to date. Here is what I thought:
- the theming in Cold Case was excellent. The room theme allows for more creativity than a science/lab themed room (as with Toxic/Doomsday) and I thought Revelation did a fantastic job;
- I thought the puzzles in Cold Case were really fun and really quite varied. As with Toxic and Doomsday, there is a lot of high tech in the room that is well-concealed. There is also some hunt and seek fun and some really unusual puzzles;
- of all 3 rooms at Revelation, Cold Case is the room that is best-suited to escape room enthusiasts. The theming is really strong, there is a strong, immersive storyline and there is a really nice mix of interesting and unusual puzzles that have been clearly designed to fit perfectly with the room’s theme. That’s not to say that newer players/corporates/families would not enjoy Cold Case - they absolutely would, but I think newer teams perhaps don’t appreciate great theming and immersion as much as more experienced players;
- although we escaped this room very quickly, it felt like it was Revelation Puzzle Rooms’ most difficult room of the 3 on offer. Our team managed to score the record for the fastest 4 player team (as well as the fastest team ever (of any size) to escape. That, out of interest, included bumping off “Escape This Podcast” who used to hold the record for the fastest team :-)
- the average escape rate with Cold Case is 37%, as compared with 51% and 53% in Toxic and Doomsday respectively. I agree that Cold Case is the harder of the rooms. Again, we escaped in less than 30 minutes (26mins 25 secs), so for an experienced team like ours, I think the room would benefit from 2 or 3 extra puzzles. But again, I get that most of Revelation’s players might be newer players and Revelation has to play to its market.
Cold Case was our favourite of the 3 rooms on offer at Revelation. It is the strongest of the 3 rooms on theming and puzzle design and for me personally, I enjoy a detective-type room more than I do a science-themed room. Each to their own.
Where: 8/151-155 Gladstone Street, Fyshwick
Duration: 60 minutes
Themes: 3 themes (with another one planned for release later in 2021)
Cost: Price: $40pp (depending on team size)
Overall Thoughts: Excellent theming and puzzles – our favourite room at Revelation
More details: http://revelationpuzzlerooms.com