Thursday 28 January 2021

Temporal Tangle (online this time) - Enigma Rooms/Next Level Escape Review


Hi everyone

Back in late 2019, my team were invited by the owners of The Enigma Room to come and check out their new room, A Temporal Tangle.  These were in the days before COVID, when leaving your house to attend a physical escape room was the norm.  We loved the experience, which focused on a strong narrative.  You can read my full review of that experience here.

During the Covid 2020 pandemic, The Enigma Room owners developed A Temporal Tangle as an online game that could be played at home.  They used photo spheres of each room, with all relevant elements in the room capable of being zoomed in or clicked on by players at home using their computer's mouse (think 1990s adventure games).  There is no live game master in A Temporal Tangle (at home edition), which means players can start their adventure whenever they like and there is no time pressure at all.

Leanne and Aaron invited me check out their new online offering, which I did during lockdown with my 7yo and my mother in law.  I controlled the mouse and they played the game (with no help from me).  This was my 145th escape room experience.  They really enjoyed themselves.  In fact, my 7yo wrote a one page review of her own, which was well received by Leanne and Aaron. I won't post her review letter here (because it is 90% spoilers), but she said things like "I found it sooooooooooooo much fun!!!!!!!"

She enjoyed it so much, she even drew a picture:


Pretty high praise from the 7 year old.  

From my perspective, as someone who has also played the real life version of the room, I think the photo spheres worked really well.  We had no issues at all during our play through.  As always, online rooms are much slower than real life rooms (because players can't divide and conquer).  But the online version provided my 7yo and mother in law with about 2 hours of fun.  

At the time of (finally) writing up this review, I have been to around 15 online rooms from all over the world.  I am pleased to confirm that A Temporal Tangle is the best Non Live room that I have experienced to date.  As well as being able to play at your own pace (which can be nice for newer players or families playing together), one of the biggest benefits of Non Live rooms is that they are very reasonably priced.  Given they don't require a live actor, this brings the cost way down for escape room businesses.  

Please note that The Enigma Room has recently closed down, but the online version of A Temporal Tangle is available going forward at Next Level Escape - see their details below.

Where:                         Virtual room (online)

Virtual Room Type:     Non Live

Duration:                     60-120 minutes (not limited)

Themes:                      
3 themes 

Cost:                            $15 per device

Overall Rating:            Time travel awesomeness, from home!

More details:                https://www.nextlevelescape.com.au/


No comments:

Post a Comment