Monday 17 January 2022

Enter Mission - Timeline Review (Live Experience)


 

Hi all

In October 2020 I played Timeline, a non-live avatar live experience from Enter Mission based in Melbourne. I played Timeline with my fellow escape room enthusiast friend Philip.

Timeline is a Live Experience room, meaning that whilst we did have to play at a designated time and we did have a host, there was no live avatar in the room.  Timeline was my 160th room to date and my 16th virtual room.

The theme of the room is as follows:

In the not-too-distant future, the world is in chaos. Your father, has developed a time machine to go back in time and fix what went wrong but he has gone missing. It’s now up to you and your friends to activate the time machine and go back to the 80’s to finish what your father started. Do you have what it takes to go back to the past and save the future? Good luck time traveling dudes!

Timeline is based on a real-life room (which I understand is somewhere in the USA).  The room has been turned into a point-and-click style game, where 360 degree photographs (“photospheres”) have been taken of each of the spaces throughout the experience. 

To be honest, I don’t recall a great deal from this room, so in many respects it clearly was not overly memorable.  In good news, I don’t remember there being any major issues with any puzzles, the game flow or interacting with the spaces. 

After having completed many online rooms at the time of writing this review (which is over a year later), I have found that the only online rooms that I seem to really enjoy are live avatar rooms. 

I found the experience of Timeline to be a mid way between a true live-hosted experience and the type of escape room you can play at your leisure without a host.  The difference is that games like Timeline charge significantly more money because you have a live host who can assist you.  The reality is that we interacted very little with the host during the experience (other than at the very beginning and end, outside of the true escape room).

To be quite honest, there are many similar point and click style games available around the world where you can play at your leisure (and they are significantly cheaper).  I have played a few of these non-live avatar but live hosted games and I have consistently found that I would have preferred to have played without the host (and saved sometimes up to 60% of the price). Timeline is $35 per player, which in my honest opinion is far too expensive for a point and click game - that kind of price is not far off a real life room! 

Timeline was an ok experience but it wasn’t really my thing.  Enter Mission also have 2 other similar non-live avatar rooms, which I decided not to play.

Where                           Virtual room (online)

Virtual Room Type:      Live Experience

Duration:                      60 minutes

Themes:                        3 virtual games

Cost:                             $35 per player (!)

Overall Rating:            Just OK - there are many better, cheaper non-hosted options around)

More details:               https://enterthemission.com/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment