Casino Royal was the third room we tried at Xcape during a single day when we tried 5 of their rooms back to back in December 2017.
- this was a fun room. Each player takes on a different role as part of the mission to break into the casino and to find and remove the prized necklace. There were some really fun (and funny) moments, particularly at the beginning of the escape;
- each player has a special "skill" that comes in use at some point during the escape. Players are equipped with a "smart phone" that is used to provide clues and to use each players' special skill. I thought this was a really interesting idea (and something that I have not seen done before);
- again, the production quality of the room is quite strong. I think the theming is not quite at the same level as the other Xcape rooms, but it is still strong;
- there is some well-concealed high tech. One of the puzzles in particular is quite cool tech that requires all players to work together. This was my favourite puzzle in the room.
- there was one puzzle that I did not like. I can't go into too much detail without giving spoilers, but it relates to a dice game. The instructions didn't make sense and the solution therefore didn't make much sense to us. In hindsight, we understood the logic behind the puzzle but it was not strong;
- there is another puzzle, which relates to blackjack, which has a number of possible solutions. I agree with the solution, but it is not the only solution and it does require a little guessing to get there. We discussed with the owner that by slightly changing the puzzle, this issue could easily be resolved;
- we had one tech issue with this room (where one of the mechanisms didn't work straight away) - but this was brief;
- I think the room is quite expensive at $50 per person on a weekend or evening. The average price for an escape room in Sydney is around $40 per person (assuming a team of 4 players), so I think $50 is quite steep.
Themes: 6 currently
Cost: $40pp (or $50pp on weekends/evenings) (but we played at the kind invitation of Xcape)