Magic Painting was the fourth room we tried at Xcape during a single day when we tried 5 of their rooms back to back in December 2017.
- this was one of my favourite rooms at Xcape;
- there are some aspects of this room that we had never seen in an escape room before;
- as with all of their other rooms, there is a lot of tech in this room (and it all suits the theme pretty well);
- again, the production quality of the room is very strong. I think the theming is also pretty strong;
- there is a nice storyline to this room (and there's more I'd like to go into on this, but can't without giving spoilers).
- there are some safety concerns that my team members had with one particular aspect of this room. I'm not sure whether this would pass a WH&S test to be honest;
- there is one high tech puzzle that is pretty cool, but it is not 100% clear on how you need to solve it. We eventually figured it out but there was a little bit of a logic jump to get there;
- this is an 80 minute room but we were out in less than half of that time. I therefore think that this room should either be changed to a 60 minute time limit or about 3 or 4 additional puzzles included to warrant an 80 minute time limit. Also, at a cost of up to $60pp, this is a very expensive room.
At the time of writing this review I have now done 90 rooms. I have come to enjoy totally immersive rooms with clever puzzles and theming. I like high tech but equally, I enjoy low tech rooms provided that the theming is there. I don't think any of the rooms at Xcape are at the same level as several other Sydney rooms when it comes to level of immersion. However, Magic Painting is one of Xcape's better rooms.
Themes: 6 currently
Cost: $50pp (or $60pp on weekends/evenings) (but we played at the kind invitation of Xcape)